November 14, 2008

Drogba faces police, FA probes


Didier Drogba is facing police and FA investigations after throwing a coin into the crowd during Chelsea’s Carling Cup fourth round defeat to Burnley.

The Chelsea striker apologised for his actions which followed his 27th-minute goal but could still be in trouble.

In a statement on Chelsea’s website, Drogba said: “I tried to celebrate the goal and I received some things at me.

“The big mistake I did was to throw it back so if someone was hurt I just want to apologise for it.”

There were no reports of any spectators being injured. However, the Metropolitan Police confirmed on Thursday that it is looking into the incident.

A spokesman said, “An inquiry is being conducted by the Football Unit at Fulham police station. No-one has been arrested.”

The incident happened after the Ivory Coast forward put the Blues ahead in his first match since returning from injury.

Drogba, 30, made a single-finger gesture before throwing a coin back into the Burnley section of the crowd.

He said, “This is not something I should show in a football match.

“It was an incident in the heat of the moment and I regret it. It was just a mistake and nothing more.”

A Chelsea spokesman said, “We will deal with this in the usual way. We are aware there is an incident. But we will not discuss it further until we have seen the referee’s report.”

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari said, “I have not spoken with Didier about any problem. The referee gave him a yellow card but I did not see what happened.”

No comments: