October 18, 2008

New signing threatens to bench Martins


Former Deportivo la Coruna striker and Newcastle United new signing, Xisco, has threatened to deploy every weapon in his arsenal to bench Nigerian striker, Obafemi Martins and rivals when they return to full action after several months of injury.

The £5.7m forward who arrived at St James’ Park, just before the storm of Kevin Keegan’s departure erupted vowed to grab his chance under Joe Kinnear with both hands, insisting that he is ready to stake a tall claim in the starting line-up.

While revealing that he is determined to take it, the Spaniard noted: "I will get better and I will take my chance when it comes. Things always get better after more training and more games. I hope that is the case at Newcastle. You always need to become more familiar with people when you arrive at a new club."

He argued that his 6ft 3in frame advantage over Martins, could be tailor-made for the brutal nature of the Premier League, adding: "Football is different in Spain, but I think I can adapt fast. I wanted to come and play in the Premier League because it is a big league. Along with La Liga, it is the strongest league in the world. Most players who have the opportunity to come here do so. I just want to take my chance."

He expressed confidence that even with the return of rivals like Martins, Mark Viduka and Alan Smith after injury, he was in the box seat to stake his claim, even as he noted that he would be an ideal partner with England striker, Michael Owen. "I think Owen and I can play together. Of course we are different players on the pitch, but I think the combination is good. It is one that can work," he quipped.sunonline

No comments: